Tuesday, January 10, 2012

When Husbands are away, Wives will...burn the house down?

OK, not burn it down necessarily. Just fill it with smoke. All three floors, so that you can see the sun's rays shining in every window of the house and I thought about calling the fire department. Briefly. I didn't manage the wood stove well, so when I came home from running errands it was like a San Francisco fog had descended upon my house. All cleared up now, but shwew!

John is the keeper of the flame in our house. Also the keeper of the plumbing and electricity tools, as well as the deep-voiced, "Knock-It-Off!" authority for three boys aged 7 to 14.

When he travels, I assume those responsibilities and pray that nothing too major happens. I have told him frequently that if anything goes wrong with our water filtering system (5 tanks, 15 valves, countless switches), I am turning it off, calling the plumber and we'll drink bottled water until he comes home.

I'm not always upset when he leaves. All you husband-traveling wives, please attest to the fact that I am not alone in this, before everyone else thinks I'm a bit heartless. John and I have different opinions on just about everything from where the sponge goes to the second coming of our Lord. So, sometimes it's a little easier to go it on my own and get to do everything my way. The adjustment when he gets back is a little hard, but that first night of feeding the kids cereal and staying up later than I'm supposed to feeds my inner teenager a little bit, I think.

Add to that my questions about our marriage. It seems like any little thing can spur a 'passionate discussion'...and not the ooh la la kind of passion, either. Sometimes we're just not compatible. I want to have deep theological, emotional conversations and he wants to cut and stack wood. I want to go out and dance and be in crowds and he's happy staying at home - in the middle of the woods - watching the military channel. He recently told me his ideal place to go live is in Montana, on a large property, and do what I don't know. For a California-born, extroverted lizard like me that seems a bit extreme.

Then, Smokageddon happens - along with a non-stop running toilet upstairs and three rowdy boys wanting my attention all at once - and I'm sorry he's gone. Is that cold and selfish? Purely utilitarian?

When my sister-in-law, Fran, was trying to get me to date John, one of my hold-ups was that he is a 'Sensor' in the Myers-Briggs personality indicators. That means  his five senses are the primary way he takes in information. I had dated a lot of "S's" and really wanted to date an "N" (someone who quickly takes in sense information and than thinks abstractly about it - often missing little details like time and distance, etc.). I happen to be the more abstract one. When I told Fran this (who is married to Harry - an "N"), she said, "You know, sometimes it's nice to have an 'S' around the house." She was right.

I don't know what the answer is...my idealistic self wants to hold onto my image of marriage as two souls united at all levels. The kind of marriage you read about in the self-help books and hear about on talk shows. But still we need help, don't we? Someone who's good at the bills if we're not. Someone who will mow the lawn while the other does the dishes (no gender claims to either one, by the way!). The practical, two people needing each other to survive and manage is an important part, too.

Today I am thankful for my husband who is the CEO of our house maintenance and Leader of our boys. I may have a fit about him not 'getting' me tomorrow, but then maybe I'll smell the smoke-infested couches, pillows, and clothes and remember that it's not all about the touchy-feely stuff.

I think I'll take a smoke-filled towel and put it in a ziploc bag just to remind myself! ;-)

5 comments:

  1. I have found marriage to be more like a business than anything else. And hey, I didn't know Fran is your sister-in-law! (Assuming you mean Fran and Harry V)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup...Fran and I knew each other for about 10 years before I met John. After hearing all of my dating woes and see him go through a lot of relationship stuff, she got us together. Best act of love ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And...thinking of marriage as a business is a good way to look at it. I'd like it to be a fun business, but even the most exciting undertakings have paperwork and other boring tasks to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there are those couple who are always together--do everything together, like the same things, start to look alike after a while... (I'm envisioning matching sweater sets, though that may be a bit extreme), and then there are the others. I don't know that Max and I have such clearly defined roles in our house; it often feels like he goes out to work and occasionally empties the dishwasher or drives the kids to school, and I go out to work and do everything else. Not quite an even balance, but it is what it is. I like having him home, but I do enjoy having some personal space when he travels. Even though only 1/4 of our household is missing, everything seems exponentially easier. Kids and I have lighter, easier, less-mess meals, the laundry decreases quite a bit, the house is quieter, the bed roomier. His first night home I often feel restless, and I wonder if there isn't some way for him to gracefully stroll down the steps and enter without such a splash, rather than what feels like a full-on cannonball.

    I hope your house gives up the strong smokey smell quickly. I, by the way, am the one in our house than can make a really kick-butt fire. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Renee...EXACTLY! The whole traveling thing is pretty tough. He came home last night and I had to give him his pillows back and give up all the comforter, so I was a little grumpy, which he didnt appreciate. Silly stuff. We can get more pillows and a bigger comforter, but I think that's just a symptom. That whole smoke thing brought some marriage thing up in me and as I wrote about it I couldnt decide what the point was...part of it was marriage roles, but him traveling was probably more of the underlying issue. Next time he travels, though, I will use the voice-hearing thing to ask you about the fire. ;)

    ReplyDelete